Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day four: Wet watery wonder


Good evening to all, or as you may read this after the sun has risen, good morning. I am Aaron Devine, counselor of Taco Bell, otherwise known as cabin three. As I sit and listen to the thunder rumbling outside I have a short respite to reflect on the happenings of the day.


This is my first time being a camp counselor, and sometimes I think to myself that my twenty-two year old body is getting a little too old for hanging out with 40 eight-to-ten year olds for a week at a time. Just kidding:) This morning we started out with the ridge hike, and all thirteen of the kids who went had a bit of a drag in their step. I was sure proud to see how many are hanging in their!


So, today was a water day. And after we had the flag flying above our camp, we headed up to the water pit, for the morning team games. A large PVC pipe stretched across a span of water and the kids would scoot out to the middle from both sides and try to knock the other into the water. That's quite a wake-up call at eight in the morning!


After the pit, we returned, (some still dripping) to the dining hall for a wonderful breakfast of chocolate-chip pancakes and bacon. (Eating is always a joy here at camp)


A bit later on in the day we had skillbuilders, and I had the privilege of helping at the climbing wall. (The skillbuilder I usually teach is camp-craft and I teach that in the afternoon) John from my cabin belayed me. It was quite the thrill:)


After TIE time, we broke with the usual schedule and had "The Great Race" where each of the four teams got a clue and went to the specified skill-builder area to complete certain feats of skill and strength. There were arrows shot through milk jugs, fires built to burn strings, targets mercilessly hammered by twenty-two shells, and a certain rock-wall that was ascended.


After the kids made it through every skill-builder challenge, they were off to the playing field for water games, which involved large sling shots, water balloons, a hundred foot slip and slide, and of course a whole lot of water. The kids were really excited to be getting drenched on this scorcher of a day.


Tonight we have fireside approaching and more stories of the grace of God to be shared with us. After that, we will prepare for bed, do cabin devo's and once we have the kids quiet and ready for sleep, there will be a surprise party, where much fun will be had by all:)


Well, thank you for following camp, and I pray that safe travel is had by all tomorrow for the award ceremony and the bar-b-que.

May the God of all peace guard your hearts and minds.

Aaron Devine

No comments:

Post a Comment